Frequently Asked Questions
How do I load a bin?
- Any bin that has waste piled higher than the top of the bin is overloaded. Please do
- Please separate your waste.
- Waste should be evenly distributed in the bin. A balanced load makes for an easier
- An overloaded bin results in a $505 infraction for East-West Disposal Services (and the poor
driver), so we will not pick up an obviously overloaded bin. IF IT IS YOUR FAULT,
WE WILL RESOLVE THE FINE WITH YOU.
- If you are driving behind another waste company's truck, and they have carelessly
picked up an overloaded bin, MOVE OUT FROM BEHIND IT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. You would
be surprised at how dangerous they are.
What can't go in the bin?
- Any hazardous material such as chemicals, propane tanks, toxic compounds, etc. -
Use common sense.
- Any liquid waste such as oil, paints, solvents, thinners, or other such.
- Unseparated waste, unless you are prepared for much additional expense.
How do I separate waste?
- First and foremost, remove all materials that could be considered hazardous.
- Dirt, concrete, brick, block and asphalt are all inert material, and should be
- One tonne of construction waste equals $95 in dumping fees, so it is most economical
to reduce the amount by separating out inert material.
- No experienced contractor mixes waste materials because it is so expensive.
Do I need to make special preparations at the bin site?
- If you will be getting a roll-off bin, there should be at least a 16 foot wide access
to the bin site to accomodate the truck and its mechanicals.
- No vehicles should be parked near the bin site at a time you are expecting a placement,
exchange, or pickup.
- If the bin is being placed on a driveway or other asphalt that is in good condition,
you should place large pieces of plywood where the bin is to be located to avoid
Can the bin be placed on the street?
- Certain local governments allow bins to be placed on the street, others do not.
The City of Toronto requires a Street Occupation Permit - here is the
More information is available on the
Toronto City Website or call them at (416) 392-6593.
Outside of Toronto, call your local city or town hall.
- Special Requirements by the City of Toronto:
- A minimum of 3.05 metres of roadway width must be kept clear and passable at all times.
- Bin and chute must be properly tarped to prevent flying debris.
- Flasher barricades are to be provided at each end of the disposal bin(s) from one half hour before
sunset to one half hour after sunrise.
- Name and number of the bin company must be displayed on the bin.
- Placement of disposal bin must not create a visual hazard for motorists or pedestrians,
or interfere with traffic regulatory lights and signs.
Why does East-West Disposal Services require a credit card to place a bin?
- Each East-West Disposal Services bin comes with a maximum weight allowance which is built
into the cost shown on our website.
- Before the contents of a bin are disposed of, they are weighed - and East-West Disposal Services
pays a fixed amount per ton for disposal (currently approximately $95).
- In the event a bin is over the maximum weight, we must be able to charge our customers
for the extra weight, because we are billed for it ourselves.
- Unfortunately, certain unscrupulous contractors will try to conceal heavy items in
the bottom of a bin (such as roof shingles), with lighter rubbish on the top.
We have seen our 14 yard bins (which come with 4,000 pounds maximum weight)
loaded with as much as 17,000 pounds.
- Unfortunately, to protect ourselves from a few unscrupulous contractors who try to
get away with severely overloading bins, we have been forced to put in place our
existing credit card policy.
What happens when there is a dispute over a credit card charge?
- If you have a dispute over the amount East-West Disposal Services has charged to your
credit card, then the following is our procedure.
- Obtain a copy of your credit card statement which contains the charge
you are disputing.
- Cross out any personal items on the statement and send it to us.
- We will check our records and if there has been an error in the billing we will
credit your account within 5 days.
- Customers who would like to see original documentation of the charges to their
account are welcome to drop by the East-West offices without appointment
to see the driver's runsheet and the weight slip from the scales that weighed
What happens to the recyclable stuff you pick up?
To view our page on the processes involved in recycling, click here :
More on East-West Recycling Services